Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ths positive side of winter.

Sure, my hands were as cold as death as I tried to type in the library, and yes, the pitch-black world pressed against the windows at 4 PM, but, hey!, let's try to find some positive things about this godforsaken time of year.

Ruby red grapefruit is in season!
Maybe I'll snowshoe soon!
Lips are chapped! (Sorry--not positive!)
Soup and bread!
That special clear quality of sunlight when it appears for half an hour!
The Nutcracker Suite!
Fluffy bathrobe!
The shower: That happy warm place with moisture in the air!

Come to think of it, maybe I'll just stay in the shower until April. Hand me a grapefruit once in a while, would you? I'll pipe in The Nutcraker.

2 comments:

Ann Forstie said...

Others:

socks and sweaters
tea and/or hot cocoa (w/ or w/o marshmallows)
holiday ornaments and colored lights
comfort food in general
squirrel footprints in the snow
good sleeping weather
cuddling with somebody warm
your own breath made visible
beautiful bare branches
making summer even more enjoyable (for some)

I like to visit the Como Park Conservatory sometimes in the winter. It's humid and plant-filled. Do you have anything like that where you are?

kStyle said...

Good point, Ann! We usually spend much of Jan-Feb hanging out in botanical gardens. There are a few nearby.