Sunday, January 4, 2009

And so winter begins, if we must.

I hate the end of the holidays. I hate fighting the cold and snow and dark to go back to work. I hate fighting my sweet tooth to return to a reasonable, non-holiday way of eating. I hate going from the wide-open spaces of time spent lounging with family and friends to the hectic pace of regular life. I hate closing the purse strings back up after a month of thoughtful spending.

I dread that I need to finish my thesis by April, G. needs to finish his dissertation by March, and he'll be job-hunting, and I predict we will have scant emotional resources left over to console one another.

The sun looked so weak and distant this morning, so feeble.

Sigh. Moan. Complain, complain. Whine. Whimper.

4 comments:

will said...

I leave most of the lights on, I paint scenes with lots of yellow, green and red, I ignore the calendar, I take lots of vitamin C and D and I drink a lot of wine ... that's how I get through the winter.

kStyle said...

Hmmmm. Painting and wine. Maybe I should try those.

Narya said...

Lots of tea, lots of alcohol, lots of hockey. I've also been trying to work out regularly. And eat seasonally. both seem to help.

But the older I get, the more I hate winter.

Narya said...

Also, btw, if either you or your husband need a reader/proofreader for your academic writing, count me in. I'm available for reading along the way, as well, not just for final-draft stuff.