Saturday, July 19, 2008

Child Street Dreams, Send Me a Beam

I've been waking up every morning this week with an old pop song running through my head. Raspy-voiced singer, smooth 80s synthesizer. Bizarre, right? What have I been dreaming about? The lyrics, as far as I could hear, went

Child Street dreams
Cast your light on me
You are the magic
You're right where I wanna be
Child Street Dreams
Send me a beam
You keep the spirit alive, going on.


I mentioned this to G., who was all looking at me like I'm crazy, "I don't know what the hell you're talking about. I've never heard that song in my life."

And I was all, "You must have! It goes,
Charles Street dreams
Shine your light on me
dum-da-dum
You are the maaagic
You're riiight where I wanna be."


And he was all, "Nope."

And I was all, "Well, maybe the lyrics are
Orange Street meat
Send me a fleet."


And he was all, "OK, I'm going back to sleep now."

So tonight, we had dinner with people who are old enough to remember the 80s better, and so I asked K., "Hey K, do you know that song, I think it's Michael McDonald, and it goes,
Chilling Street dream
Cast a light on me
You keep the spirit aliiiive, holding on."


A pause. I added, "I think it's from a movie."

She thought for a moment. Then she knew what I was talking about! She said, "I think it's called, Sweet Freedom."

And I said, "Oh, is that what he's saying?"

And she said, "You can never tell with Michael McDonald."

You can't tell! You can't! Check it out--turn off the sound and try to read the man's lips. You'll additionally note that although Gregory Hines memorized and anunciated the lyrics (it's that theater training!), Billy Crystal and good ole MM are clearly just MSU*.

What he's allegedly saying.

*Makin' Shit Up

No comments: